1950s footage from a warship

Share your videos
tjm5256
Buddy
Buddy

1950s footage from a warship

#1 Post by tjm5256 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:10 pm

Stumbled on to this vid discussing the living quarters on a warship. No fighting. Just a voice over and video of guys going about their day.

Mostly boxers with some briefs mixed throughout. https://youtu.be/NSc8EjhvUU0

scisan60
Junior
Junior

Re: 1950s footage from a warship

#2 Post by scisan60 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:54 pm

Historically informative and hot at the same time!

dakota

#3 Post by dakota » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:07 pm

I spent 11 of my 20 Navy years aboard ships. What you saw was very real. While the berthing areas were remodeled from what that video shows, it wasn't a lot better. Bunks were about the same size as those mattresses, stacked three or four high, but the mattress was laying on the lid to a fixed locker space the same length and width dimensions, and about 6 inches tall. That was basically all the storage space a guy would have to store everything they owned.

The sinks in the head were the same style as in the video, and just as close together. (What they don't show is each handle has to be held "on." If you let go, the water turns off. Made it very hard to wash your hands without running a basin full of water.) Toilets had partitions between each one, but there was still very little privacy. Those guys knew the camera was there, and were more modest than usual - most days they'd be walking to the head to shower and shave wearing just their underwear, or naked, maybe with a towel wrapped around them, and just as often, carrying it in their hand. It was "just us guys" back then, so what's to hide?

The white boxers and briefs you saw were because that was what guys wore. Basic Training in those days issued only baggy white boxers, but after boot camp, guys could (and would) wear other styles. In later years, as colored underwear and skimpier styles became common, it was a whole gamut of underwear styles to be seen. Although a sailor's dress white uniform is basically see-through, so most guys wore white underwear of one style or another under them. The newer dress uniform styles have a privacy panel that makes it look like the guy is wearing boxers. He may or may not be. The privacy panel is pretty solid, so he could have on most anything, or nothing underneath.

Great video. Thanks for posting.

--Dakota
So many men. So many times. :cool:

JocknBriefGuy
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by JocknBriefGuy » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:14 pm

I spent some time in the early part of my time in the Navy on an older training vessel from the 50s. We had partitions between the toilets, but no doors, and open door showers. The open showers were fine, as that was the standard pretty much everywhere in the military, but I hated taking a crap with no doors. That was the one place/time where I wanted 5 minutes of privacy. I can't imagine what it was like to be taking a dump sitting two inches from the guy next to you. There was no AC on that ship, so what doesn't come through in the video is what that place smelled like. I worked in an engine room and sometimes you'd come back from a watch and walk into the stench of a berthing compartment, and I'd wish I was back down below in the heat.

When I moved to a more modern destroyer, life was a lot different. AC for one made a huge difference. Stalls on toilets, and individual showers with clear plastic curtains. I also got to spend some time on a couple of submarines, and while the food was indeed really good (it is well known that the submariners always get the best food), the berthing spaces were really tight, for enlisted and officers. So, you had to get used to maneuvering around guys, especially at busy times when people are getting up or going to/from watch. There were only guys on all of the ships that I was on, so almost everyone was walking around in underwear or just a towel. Every ship also seems to have a couple of guys who are really hung, or just naturally showers, who like to be the ones prancing around naked, which usually results in everyone else giving them plenty of grief - "cover that thing up before you knock somebody over with it".

The choices of underwear were just starting to break out, but the majority of guys were still wearing white briefs. One friend of mine had been a swimmer and had a really eclectic selection of underwear that ranged from skimpy bikini briefs to brightly patterned boxers. He also religiously wore a swimmers jock under his swim trunks. (He was pretty well hung, so I can understand why.). One day, he was standing watch on the quarterdeck, and had chosen to wear boxers with bright red hearts under his dress whites, which were clearly visible. They might as well have been flashing in neon. The captain walks out, sees him, and his bright red hearts and has a fit. He gets kicked off the quarterdeck and told to come back in the "right underwear". 5 minutes later, he is back in his white briefs, with a big grin. He loved pushing people's buttons. :lol:

HowlinAtcha
Junior
Junior

#5 Post by HowlinAtcha » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:51 pm

The one guy that climbs down the ladder in that vid seems to have flopped out the fly of his boxers lol

dakota

#6 Post by dakota » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:33 pm

JocknBriefGuy wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:14 pm
One day, he was standing watch on the quarterdeck, and had chosen to wear boxers with bright red hearts under his dress whites, which were clearly visible. They might as well have been flashing in neon. The captain walks out, sees him, and his bright red hearts and has a fit. He gets kicked off the quarterdeck and told to come back in the "right underwear". 5 minutes later, he is back in his white briefs, with a big grin. He loved pushing people's buttons. :lol:
That's a hoot. I knew a Seaman Apprentice aboard one of my ships who did exactly the same thing, except it was bikinis in bright red and white stripes under his very tight Dress Whites. HIs ass looked like alternating lines of white and red. The Officer of the Deck acted much the same as your Captain did, and sent him to change. When he came back, wearing what was obviously white briefs under his uniform, the OOD made him bend over and show his butt to everyone on the Watch that he was wearing white underwear. It still makes me laugh. :)

--Dakota
So many men. So many times. :cool: